Thursday, October 12, 2006

Guin Van Dyke for School Board, Campaign Statement

I am asking our community for their support in voting Guin Van Dyke for Sunol Glen Unified School Board.

I was appointed to the Board in March 2002. I was one of three candidates and because I had a tremendous amount of Community support then, I was appointed to the School Board. I am asking for your support again.

I have been the President of the Board for the last three years. I have also been serving on the Tri Valley Regional Occupational Program (ROP) Board. I have been recognized by Alameda County for my first four years of service to our District and have won the Association of California School Administrators “Friends of Education” award in 2002 and 2006.

Sunol Glen was in turmoil when I was appointed to the Board. It was my goal then to bring about stability and create an atmosphere of respect that would allow for a high quality of education. Since that time I feel this has happened and a bond has formed between our staff and community. Since the BASIS Charter School has left Sunol Glen Unified, our Academic Performance Index scores have climbed to 874 this year. Our School is an important part of our Community and is attractive to others as more than 70% of our student’s are inter-district transfers. Attracting and retaining talented teachers is important to our District. We were able to reward our teachers and staff with a 5% salary raise last year. Although our budget is tight right now, we are continuing to build enrollment to prevent deficit spending. One of the Boards biggest hurdles this school year will be hiring a new superintendent. I have talked with surrounding districts about their recent process and I am currently on the hiring Board for the ROP superintendent. I believe Sunol Glen needs a superintendent with a sense of community and leadership. Some of our teachers will be retiring this year and I believe our new teachers need to be vigorous and innovative with a drive for education for our students.

My family and I moved to Sunol more than 11 years ago.. Both of my children attended and graduated from Sunol Glen. My husband is a local businessman who is self employed as a U.S. Patent Agent. I was very active in my children’s classrooms and held several positions in the Community Club. I received the Vivian Schieb award for outstanding volunteer in 1998. I have served on Foothill High School Site Council for one year, and have been on the Sunol Glen School Site Council for the last 6 years.

Sunol Glen is my passion. I am asking for your vote so that I can continue to help make Sunol Glen the best it can be for our Students, Staff, Parents and Community.

If I have your support and may use your name, please sign below.

Thank you,


Guin Van Dyke

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Ott said...

As a trustee for the Pleasanton Unified School District, I work with Guin on the Tri-Valley Regional Occupation Program board. Guin is intelligent, knowledgeable, and has a proven track record of caring for students. As such, I am endorsing her for relection to the school board in Sunol.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Graham Barnes said...

Guin is currently the President of the Sunol School Board. She is a smart, compassionate, experienced and articulate person. Among her other achievements, she has demonstrated outstanding leadership in resolving the Charter School situation at Sunol Glen. There are currently two open seats on the Sunol School Board and I'm sure that Guin will be successful in reelection to her seat. I look forward to the opportunity of serving the community of Sunol with Guin if I am also elected to the other seat on the Sunol Glen School Board.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Diane Centoni said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home